Tuesday, August 2, 2011

What I learnt from TV...

Once upon a time I was scared of the television. I wouldn't even dare to dig my nose when the news was on. Reason-I believed that like how I could see the news reader, they could also see me.

That was eons ago. But will all these spy cams around nowadays, the fear in my innocent heart that time could not be termed as unfounded. After getting over that phase, I did get to learn a lot from TV.

Let me see:

Learnt all latest songs, which kept my love for music alive and well fed. All those music shows from those days to these have always inspired me to sing. Though I do not croon in front of a mic, I am a pretty confident Bathroom Singer.

Also learnt that is an Indian equivalent for all things western, like Byomkesh Bakshi- the Indian Sherlock Holmes. It was through thy series that I got to know what plaster of Paris was. Though I did not put that knowledge to use, it always felt good to know something new. And who can forget our Indian Superman Shakthiman?

The two greatest Epics of our Civilisation- Ramayan and Mahabharath were introduced to me through TV only. Today TV has also taken initiative to explain the Bagwat Gita too. All my knowledge, at least most of it is all thanks to the mythologies on TV especially DD.

I can speak Hindi very well. Despite not stepping out of Chennai during my learning years and having never stayed long up north, my fluency in Hindi is all thanks to TV. Watching all those numerous humorous series helped a lot. To rejig your memory Zabaan Sambhalke, Dekh Bhai Dekh, Shrimaan Shrimathi and Tu Tu Mein Mein to name a few.

All these lessons were learnt while watching it all on our faithful Dyanora TV. This post comes at the tome when my dear TV has finally decided to take a retirement. Will miss you.

2 comments:

  1. hee heee..\\ I believed that like how I could see the news reader, they could also see me\\ opening is sooper..! hilarious!

    Very cute post as it is sounding so innocent! :)
    Reading your blog after a short gap.. will read other posts as well.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am myself taking short breaks between each post..

    ReplyDelete