Sunday, March 7, 2010

"Once a Reader, is always a Reader"

Just finished reading a book. Just finished reading about its author. Just decided which book of his i am going to read next "Veronika decides to die" by Paulo Coehlo

Books have once again become a part of my life. My reading, i believe, has also reached a different level.

My first book - "Goldilocks and the Three Bears". As a kid i have read it religiously over and over again at my aunt's house.Knowing every line and imagining the 3 bears looking into their bowls of porridge and wondering how sweet it would have tasted. My journey into the world of books has begun.

From that point onwards, i used to read - read - read and read.Every year before school begins, i would finish reading all my English prose and non-de-tale books. And buy books from the Book Bus with little care for how much i was spending.

My father ensured a supply for my reading. The Junior encyclopedia, Amar Chitra Katha, Ramayana, Sri Krishna, Fairy Tales, Gokulam magazine, Reader's Digest and so on. I was glued to books by Enid Blyton. Had one book and would re-read it. The one with the Golliwog doll. And most of all, i read every Shrerlock Holmes book i could lay my hands on.

The books gave me a lot of things, good language, imagination and the sights and sounds to experience from my home itself.

I fell in love with the Scarlet Pimpernel and felt sad for Oliver Twist. I wished to meet Olivia and tell her how cute her love story is.

I will never forget "Ebeneezer the never could sneezer" or what i read about Aung Sang Syu Ki. I even used to read Essays from small books. Reading, never stopped till one fine day.

I do not recollect when i stopped reading. Even when in 1st year college, when i read my first Sydney Sheldon - for long believing the author was female, i used to read quiet a lot.

When i joined professional studies, the distance between books and me grew. It started with the laziness to read my subjects and ended as a laziness towards books itself.

In the years that followed - almost 4 full years i hadn't touched anything but subject books before exams. Remember reading a Mills n Boons book in between. But the gap was now too wide. For the once voracious reader i was, it could be compared to a hunger strike.

My redeeming moment came when I attended an interview. He asked me about my hobbies. I casually remarked that music is a hobby and that i was once a voracious reader. To which he didn't agree. He simply said, "Once a Reader, is always a Reader".

It struck a blow to me. In all those years, sitting on my lazy bum, i had stopped fueling myself with the one thing that had given me so much. Books. I had forsaken it. I really couldn't understand why i stopped something that i was so passionate about. And then that day itself i made my mind.

On the way back, stopped at a second hand book store and bought one book and broke my fast. Now i am hungry for more.

My Childhood Fav books - "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" - atleast up to Class III. "Ganga" - the story about the descent of the river from the heavens above - till date a favourite

5 comments:

  1. a nice writeup to read. what you started to experiment with your reading is now only something like a header though very important, Now you have graduated to a good reader, read everything but absorb only relevant material. This advice comes to you from an old man who as he could not afford to purchase newspapers in time used to read the torn pieces of Mathrubhumi and Hindu, comin as wrappers to stationary items and vegitables and ofter picking the papers from the street ditches. All the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. the heirogliphyics troubled my failing eyesight sorrya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank u for ur sincere comments.. ur advise well taken...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pleasant surprise Gangi.. last morning i was telling my friend tat u have an awesome vocab, ur poetries have been published in the papers and tat ur a book-paithyam..& i wake up to see ur new blog! Its amazing that I lived in the same house as you but never even thought of reading any of those books :P. Anxiously waiting to read more from ur blog. Best wishes..:)

    ReplyDelete